Saturday, December 10, 2011

The Beast 2011

Today marked the 5th annual charity trail run benefiting the Santa Clarita Food Pantry. This is a nearly 5 mile run that is insanely steep! Used in the past a training run for local high school cross country athletes, this run has enormous cult-like following here in Santa Clarita. Thank you Don Mclean for putting on this great event!

I mountain biked this trail to catch the top runners come in. This time, unlike my last post, I beat them and was able to get some great video and still photography. My time? Just under 1 hour! I believe that was one of my fastest mountain bike times. Even for getting in late from the night before from De bell Golf Course Clubhouse Grill! Thank you Steve and Bill for a wonderful time! Lots of laughs. And, by the way, the garlic bread is from the famous Smoke House in Toluca Lake! Back to running. As I approached the radio tower which is the end of the trail, I was so glad to see that there were clear skies and zero wind! The temperature was very comfortable as well.

The two top runners came in just over 38 minutes, while a majority of the rest came in around 50 minutes! Young, older and of all physical abilities, this event attracted them all. And for such a wonderful cause too. I firmly believe that this is what the holiday season is all about. Caring, giving and of course having fun! In actuality, this mind set should be in practice throughout the year. The general tone at the top from all the runners is just the joy and uplifting feeling of accomplishment. For me, the greatest reward from climbs such as these is the incredible view. We were all lucky today to find such clear skies! Santa Catalina Island and downtown Los Angeles were in clear view. It was truly spectacular!






Before I departed, I managed to interview a few folks and shared in many laughs. Extreme good times! I asked a fellow Santa Clarita Runners Club member John, "Why do we do this?" It is true. Why not just send a check to the charity you are interested in and just go to the gym or work out in the garage to stay healthy? I know why I do this. I understand why my friends in the running club do what they do. Because we can! Bottom line. Yes, for some others it does sound a little "snotty". I sure as hell don't care. It is empowering to get up early on a Saturday morning while others are still in bed nursing what ails them and go ride, run, or hike The Beast!

http://www.youtube.com/user/cota2007?feature=mhee

http://www.flickr.com/photos/cota4/

http://www.donsdiary.net/modules/news/

Labels: , , ,

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home