Friday, February 24, 2012

Lenny Kravitz Live at The Nokia Theater 2/16/12

I was very lucky to witness multi-Grammy winner, Lenny Kravitz at one of my favorite concert venues last Thursday night at The Nokia Theater at LA Live. My buddy Steve and I were treated to an eclectic and soulful show that spanned the artists 20 plus year career. I was first introduced to his music on the debut album, "Let Love Rule". That record had a personal and rock oriented feel to it, and this live show was no different. I haven't heard any of his new stuff, but I was pleasantly grooving on the mezzanine when he opened the show with "Come on Get it". Lenny then rolled into some of his earlier hits and the sell out crowd was just in a tizzy, including me! Of course, the tune I wanted to hear was "Mr. Cab Driver", my favorite off "Let Love Rule". The horn solo at the end was just stellar! I'm so glad I captured it on video even though it was on my cell phone. I really will remember to bring out my HD Kodak next time at a show! His autobiographical tune, "Black & White America" was truly mesmerizing. The crowd really seemed to enjoy the slide show during this part of the show including the stage setup. Lenny had a huge video pyramid that lit up the night. "Are you gonna go my way" was a perfect set closer that had the people dancing and singing. The encore consisted of two acoustic songs, "Push" & " I belong to you" and his 1st hit, "Let Love Rule". I was impressed by the usual yet catchy chords and melody in "Push". "Let Love Rule" was incredible. Lenny worked the crowd by going into the aisles and making it all the way to the back. It would have been really cool if he made it up to the party section at the mezzanine level!

All in all, I thoroughly enjoyed the concert. The people seemed to get into it and the sound was great. The Nokia Theater seems to have better sound the further back your seats are. I've seen shows from up front to the back lodge and I feel that the sound gets a little bassy. Lenny could have played longer and the time between the regular set and encore was too brief, but hey, he had places to go and people to see. With that said, I would go see this extremely talented musician again and definitely recommend people to go out and witness a Lenny Kravitz concert. Since his set was rather short this allowed me to take my friend to the ESPN Zone to end the night in Los Angeles. I'm sure glad they kicked us out by midnight so we could make it for the hilarious fun at Sardos karaoke night in Burbank. It is always a fun and adventurous night with Steve! And thank you www.youtellconcerts.com for the tickets I won!!  

 SetList-

  1. Come On Get It
  2. Always on the Run
  3. American Woman
  4. (The Guess Who cover)
  5. It Ain't Over 'Til It's Over
  6. Mr. Cab Driver
  7. Black And White America
  8. Fields of Joy
  9. Stand By My Woman
  10. Believe
  11. Stand
  12. Rock And Roll Is Dead
  13. Rock Star City Life
  14. Where Are We Runnin'?
  15. Fly Away
  16. Are You Gonna Go My Way
    Encore:
  17. Push
    (acoustic)
  18. I Belong to You
    (acoustic)
  19. Let Love Rule
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IRAtWKSqE9Y
http://youtellconcerts.com/

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home