Sunday, August 8, 2010

The perfect Monday and start of Marathon Training


Started the day knowing that it would be our last full day of vacation. It was a little overcast at the beach through the week-end, but had great sunsets. That is how it has been most of the summer in Santa Barbara and Carpinteria. I was able to get my girls up early to go to the tide pools near the campground. They loved it and enjoyed the donuts afterwards. My wife sure loved the time alone, for sure! The beach was still cloudy but I knew that I needed to get all the chairs, towels, and toys down there before the crowds showed up. I knew that it would be a nice day starting around 11 am when the sun appeared. This is when I started digging. Digging a massive play area ditch for the girls sandcastles. Boy, that worked me out! About an hour straight of just bunker training! Was able to relax after the surf with a nice lunch when I decided to take that mountain bike ride. So, around 2:30 I told my wife that I'll be back in about 90 mins. Yeah right!
I proceeded to drive up to Romero Canyon where I found a parking spot to get started on the ride. I noticed a pleasant couple start riding and figured they were going to the top where I was going. They went up the fire road, while I went up the trail. I figured this out at about 30 mins into the ride. Dripping with sweat and carrying my heavy Marin bike, I knew that I was in for some little adventure. About an hour later, I emerged from the wooded canyon where an easy flowing stream ran. I made it! To my surprise, I heard voices. I got my photo shot near the top, so I was satisfied then sped down hill to see who was approaching. It was that same couple! The guy definitely looked surprised to see me! Yes, I am the knucklehead that went the opposite and hard way! Story of my life. Now I know. What a beautiful mistake and gorgeous vistas! Wouldn't have traded it for the world. I had to make it back quick to take the girls out to dinner!
A quick pit stop to fuel up on "Rocket Fuel", Patron....then dove in the ocean to cool off. This is where it got strange. There I am. Empty stomach right before dinner, laying there on the beach drying off, I was spent. I gazed up to the sky and noticed the wispy clouds formed a sitting dog. There also appeared to be a rainbow around the dogs mouth and neck. For that moment in time, exactly where I was laying down, it appeared to me that the wispy looking sitting doge had a rainbow leash in it mouth dangling down by its neck. Wow! What was in that shot of Patron!?
Got up, took a shower and took the girls to The Palms in Carpinteria. Fantastic steak and grilled it myself.

The start of marathon training was today with the Santa Clarita Runners Club. Brian, David an Matt led us off. It was only supposed to be a 14 mile run, so I knew I would be okay. Of course, running with people always is a good push. So, probably about half way through, I decided I wanted to "keep up" with the effortless David. This guy can sure run. It really looks like he is just walking really fast and seamless. I am so glad to be doing this, because I know I will need help when trying to run the Santa Clarita Marathon in November. This has been the best week in way too long. But, there is another on coming up! Rush at The Gibson Amphitheater on Wednesday, review to follow! Now lets see if I can make it to Race Series #6 at College of the Canyons on Thursday night.

Labels:

1 Comments:

At August 8, 2010 at 8:09 PM , Blogger Stephen said...

Beautiful. Absolutely beautiful. Thanks for sharing, brother.

 

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home